I think I should let other people know I have a blog

My eyesight is slowly failing me. I think that my vision have already gone up from 70-50 to 100-80. Recently I've been having much more difficulty seeing things without having to endure the haze of blurred colors and squinting until my eyes get all watery. I think the years of reading against the light and poring through books while on bed is taking a huge toll on my vision. Plus the countless hours I have spent and continue to spend in front of the television and computer screen has strained my eyes to its enduring limit. I think I should not rant a whole lot about my eyesight which should soon be comparable to an elderly person's (only that I am myopic and they're hyperopic).

Anyway I chose to write a blog tonight because I have been compelled by my procrastinating self to again put off studying for another day. I think aimlessly discussing the sweeping thoughts in my head would be the best alternative to being engulfed again by my comforting sheets.

I really have to do something about this.

I think a selfish person cannot be a writer. While most people intend to satisy their need for catharsis through the liberation of words in their diaries or blogs, one cannot be called a writer unless he relates to a certain audience, of which is his work is of interest. One cannot be called a writer unless people, are enticed to the meaning of what he/she writes. Nowdays we experience the proliferation of bloggers and other people who use the internet to reach a wider audience. However, though many people have joined the regala of people who surf the wave of the blogging trend, a few are to be referred to as writers. While I may not be a Mass Communications graduate, I think it might be safe to say that not every form of writing, whether for the public's consumption or for private savoring warrants the person who wrote it to be called a writer. While the technicalitites of being called a writer would rush like an opposing current to this admonition, I think being called a writer should be bequethed only to those who definitely have the capacity to, at the very least, relate with an audience and send out a form of meaning through his construction of words. Of which returns me to an earlier point. Writing should demand from a person a certain tinge of unselfishness. It commands someone to see his point the way others might probably see it. A purely self-absorbed person would not make the best of a writer. Inevitably, we have to take into consideration that writing is a form of communication, in which the sender tries his best to reach an understanding with the receiver of the information. This would make the most elmentary sense out of my point. However, writing goes beyond having to fullfill the need to communicate with other people. Unlike speaking, the use of the written word provides a vehicle for a more profound way of self-expression. It provides for a canvas which the meaning of things, or emotions could be playfully weaved, expressed or even concealed in the mish mash of words.

***

Well I will finish this another time (Go procrastination!)

3 comments:

Edge said...

writing to express is a choice between being straightforward and blatant or vague and, as you said, 'concealed.' It's just funny to be aware that despite BLOGGING for everyone to see - some, like me, would opt to go vague and veil a naked expression yet be satisfied with such elusive action. Yes, contradicting the initial objective of blogging for a wider audience but quite happy all the same. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Speaking, not writing, is the most profound way of self-expression. Writing restricts a person to communicate with only words and in one direction. Feedback from the audience is only achieved after the act of writing is over. In contrast, speaking provides an unrivaled dimension to the act of communicating. Facial expression, tone, volume, and a host of other things work seamlessly to deliver one's argument and to convey one's emotion. Feedback is near-instantaneous and is used in real-time to fine-tune communication.

This is not to say that writing is less respectable. The challenge of communicating using words alone cannot be overstated. The effort and expertise required to effectively deliver a message full of thought and emotion is certainly immense.

Although it may certainly be utilized to serve an artistic purpose, writing was invented to facilitate communication in ways that are more convenient than speaking. A seasoned writer may spend years of his life perfecting a piece with great creativity, passion, and artistic taste. But the piece will never truly come alive until someone speaks it out loud.

Anonymous said...

You have a point there. Although I am biased with writing in the sense that written words could exact a myriad of meanings, as no definitive tone is cast to contain its possible interpretations. Well you might say that it is basically putting the message in haze, but I'd like to think that it gives it more dimension, and a little more room for a richer and more profound experience.