Realizations of a two week med student



Do you know the feeling when riding a roller coaster you hear the machine grate and rumble into motion?  Before you realize it, you're speeding 60 miles per hour, your wits barely with you, and everything becomes a blur of hazy unrecognizable images. All you know is you're moving fast, too fast you can't even think, or feel your heart trying to escape from your chest...

Now imagine Med school.

Today will be my second weekend as an official med student. After such a long, ordeal-ridden path towards admission, I have been accepted at PLM-College of Medicine. If you're thinking of going to PLM in the future, I can only give one advice: know and complete their required units, possibly even before submitting your application. My  friends at PCU and myself waited torturously for the subsequent lists because the first batch of accepted applicants were only those who had no deficiencies. My NMAT score also helped in way as PLM selects students by ranking.


I came in one week after the start classes. To be honest, I was contemplating on focusing on our business instead. I took it as a sign from the heavens that being rejected by three medical schools only meant I was not destined to go into medicine. But lo and behold, PLM called in. I thought if I'm going to med school, it's either I go now,  or I completely forget about it. I guess God only made me realize how much I really wanted to be a doctor in the first place.


I have heard so many times that getting into med school is the easy part, and staying is the hardest. For my friends and I, neither comes on a silver platter. PLM-CM have long had the reputation of releasing its results late. If waiting wasn't torture enough, there's learning you will not be accepted after spending your summer taking additional subjects.


Anyway, as I noted in a previous post, tuition at PLM is socialized. But even if you fall under Category 3, (click here to read the previous post) you would still be paying lower compared with other medical schools. 


Now for the fun part...


The gap of one month from my last post to now could be no clearer indication of how med school is practically eating up 90% of my time (The other ten percent for activities necessary for survival and maintenance of life). I don't think I have ever been this consistently busy. I am now just switching from doing med stuff, eating, doing med stuff, travelling, doing med stuff, sleeping and so on and so forth. Is it hard? It IS hard. The only consolation I think of now is I'll finally become a doctor in five years, and I could now write about med life first hand.


I am not really complaining. In the first place I am here because I wanted to be here. And honestly, I'm deeply happy to be here. Although thinking about going through a storm and actually going through one, will never exactly be the same thing.


If I am this busy the first leg of the school year, I could only imagine what the future months will bring. I now read chapter after chapter of my huge textbooks, not because I am being studious or anything but because I don't want to stare blank faced when our professors spew stuff I haven't even heard about. It's a complete shake up for me since I admit I didn't read much during my Nursing days. I currently have seven subjects, Physiology, Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy, Histology, Family and Community Medicine, Bioethics and Neuroanatomy. Nursing students I think would generally require major study for Histology and Biochem since our discussions of these subjects were just pretty much on the surface. 


And no med people are not really big nerdos. My classmates are actually a fun bunch, and I think I'm very lucky to belong to a class of such well rounded people. I even think they're actually more fun-loving and crazier than I am.


I know writing this post will be one of the very rare times I could actually do something apart from med. The difference now is I'm heading where I want to be headed. Just thinking I will be a doctor in a few years invigorates me life a good cup of coffee on a gloomy day. I'm just so fired up I want to close my eyes and feel every twist and turn this roller coaster has to offer.



27 comments:

Noah said...

Hello batchmate! I feel for you because I'm also second batch of accepted student in PLM. I'm in Section A for this year. COngrats to you. Yes, medlife is NOT hard but it's actually fun if you enjoy it instead of being depressed by all the pressure. SMILE! :)
Let's do our very best! See you in the campus!

niecuo said...

WOW!! congrats aubrey..ur journey is very inspiring.

Pamella said...

Hi Aubrey! I've been reading your blog since December, when I was about to take the NMAT. Your entries really helped me a lot. Thanks!

And now, congratulations! You are definitely living your dream!=)

I hope I would be able to do that also...in God's time.

AJ said...

TOTOO!!!! i feel like im dying, and its only my 3rd week. we have a quiz just about every day T_T

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being accepted at PLM. Im an aspiring doctor too =) this year I'm planning to take my NMAT.Btw i find your blog very informative. XoXo

Aubrey said...

Hi guys. Big thanks for your kind encouraging words. :) Hooray to us doctors of the future!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aubrey, first of all, congrats on finally being able to start you're studies. I've been following your blog for a while now. I'm also an aspiring doctor, and, like you, I lack the required units for admission to med schools (I'm a Chemistry major). I was wondering if you could tell me where you took up your extra Physics/Bio credits. I intend to complete the necessary subjects before I submit my application to the different schools. Thanks and hope to hear from you!

Aubrey said...

Hi Anonymous. I took my lacking units at PCU (Philippine Christian University). FEU and PCHS (a school beside FEU) also offer supplementary units. Thanks for reading my humble blog. Hope everything goes out well! :)

_AnxiousFirstTimer_ said...

Hi Aubrey! Thanks for the wonderful blog. I salute you for pursuing your dream of becoming a doctor, rarely do people actually follow their dreams. And I think that it is brave of you to do so. I hope to follow in your footsteps. I'm going to take the NMAT this december 2010, hopefully I'll get a high score, my dream is to study at UST. Once again, thank you for the wonderful blog. =)

Arra :) said...

hello aubrey :) you gave me the encouragement i needed. :)

"Just thinking I will be a doctor in a few years invigorates me like a good cup of coffee on a gloomy day. I'm just so fired up I want to close my eyes and feel every twist and turn this roller coaster has to offer."

Anne said...

Hi aubrey, Im honestly inspired by you and your blog. I hope to read more of your ideas and views in life. Live. Love. Laugh. Good luck! I hope I can also do the same thing that you have done just be in med school.

Anonymous said...

Hello Ate Aubrey!
I have been reading your blogs about med stuff., and your entries about FEU medicine helped me a lot. I am a nursing graduate currently waiting for the NLE results and I plan to start med school next school year. Congratulations po! I am wishing you good luck and the best of health as you go through this medical journey. :)

Aubrey said...

Glad I did Arra. Go fight! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi aubrey,

Thank you for the very inspiring blog..I just found it while I am deciding to go for med school next year or just do masteral..I am also a Nursing student and recently pass the NLE last july 2010..My thoughts are really scattered whether to pursue this dream of mine knowing that I am 22 this year and it's quite old to enter med life.. anyways, I'd like to ask if what subjects did you took up to complete the pre-requisite in med school?

I hope you could reply..

thank you;p

Aubrey said...

Had to take up additional 2 units in Physics. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi aubrey! I've been following your blog for like a year now, and this is my first time to give a comment. I'am also a RN, for almost 2yrs now. And because of the scarcity of MD's here in our province I've realized I need to be one. hehe. kidding aside, I really want to be a doctor. I'am already starting to do my self review. I'm planning to take the dec2010 nmat. with that, do you have any idea when is going to be the start of registering for the said exam? i've been trying to register on line but its not yet accepting applicants. haist =(. thanks and good luck with your career!

robel said...

Hi ate aubrey :) your blogs are more of a knight in shining armor to me. Im a first year college student also at plm and still confused if im going to shift to a premed course next sem. I hope you make it through God speed :)

Aubrey said...

Thank you so much Robel.

Scott said...

Hey Aubrey, your famous.

I'll be taking NMAT in December 2010, I'm from the U.S., but i'm taking the exam in Cebu. Is it true that you aren't allowed to use any scratch paper at all... and you are not allowed to write on the test booklet?

Aubrey said...

Not really Scott. :P. You will be given a scratch paper but you won't be allowed to write on the booklet. Computations aren't really that difficult since calculators won't be allowed as well.

premed'sbro said...

Hi Aubrey! I've been following your blog posts and they're really interesting and informative at the same time. my sister's planning to take up Med and she's currently taking up BS Biology at UST. We're not that well-off, she's Manila-born and her grades aren't good enough for UP Med, that's why she's looking into PLM - aside from the stellar board record. Any advice regarding the NMAT? Also, I was wondering where to get info about the PLM-MCAT. I couldn't find it in the PLM website. And do you know of any NMAT review centers that actually have high passing rates? I've heard that the review centers mushrooming around España are no good. I hope you could keep us, your viewers, posted about your med life. :) Good luck!

Aubrey said...

Hi. You have a lot of questions going on there. :)

Any advice regarding the NMAT?
I've written much about in in my other posts and comments. Feel free to browse around.

Also, I was wondering where to get info about the PLM-MCAT.
To be honest there isn't much around the web about the PLM-MCAT. I've written something about it in one of my posts. You can also backread forums on pinoymd.

And do you know of any NMAT review centers that actually have high passing rates?
I didn't enroll in a review center so I couldn't actually recommend any specific one. Although some forumers in pinoymd I believe have exchanged info on the subject.

I hope you could keep us, your viewers, posted about your med life. :) Good luck!

Thank you very much. I will do my best to write from now on. :)

Anonymous said...

HI aubrey.. i really love your blog.. very interesting and informative. your so brilliant.. i just graduated from Feu batch 2010 and now a nurse. i will be taking up nmat this december and i wud lyk to ask do u know what month will the admission of PLM,FEU,UE college of medicine starts and what month will it end?coz im targeting those schools in taking medicine.. im planning to enroll this june if i got lucky, can i have your email as well?thank you for helping us by answering our inquiries and doing such brilliant blogs.. gudlluck to you and ur chosen career.

Abegail said...

Hello Aubrey! You're really inspiring. Thank you for sharing these things. You're such a big help. :)

I'm a graduating BSN student of PLM. I'll be taking the NMAT on April 2011. And I'm planning to complete the units this summer.

Congratulations for making it in PLM-CM! I've been dreaming of pursuing Medicine in the same school. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hello po. Gusto ko lang po itanong kung kelan po hindi disable yung online application for nmat?kasi po i've been trying to get online form kaso lagi po disable ung site :( thank you po

Anonymous said...

hi Aubrey!ive been reading your blogs for awhile now.gah, at last i found someone who i can relate to when it comes to med stuff. :) i really really want to study in PLM also for med school pero kinakabahan ako sa NMAT score that i got. it is below 90. basing from what you've gone through, do you think i still have a chance to be accepted in PLM? :( does PLM weigh NMAT score heavier than GWA? and also, will PLM consider an NMAT April 2012 score for AY 2012-2013 application if ever i want to retake my NMAT? i really need your expertise.please enlighten me. :) thanks a lot

kimjane said...

i was really inspired by your posts. i cant help but admire your passion and positivity. i hope you'd continue to blog more about your experiences as a med student because i myself aspires to be one like you. thank you ate aubrey for sharing your knowledge and experience! :)