PLM College of Medicine Interview

I don't know if I might be inherently lucky with interviews, but so far, all of them had been entirely pleasant. Click here for my FEU-NRMF interview experience)


I arrived at PLM about forty minutes before my schedule. Personally, I consider all interviews as equal, whether it may be for a job or for my medicine application. First impressions, although it may not exactly last a lifetime, are crucial (technically we are selling ourself here), so it is important to be there early and dress the part. Professionalism is key here future doctors!

While passing time, we met Carla, a very nice first year med student who entertained and eased our nerves before the actual interview. During her time, she told us that they were given an essay due to the teeming number of applicants. The topic was, 'Among the many applicants, why should we choose you?', which only meant a self-concocted sales pitch for themselves. However the most interesting she told us about was how low the tuition in PLM could get. All PLM students are practically scholars of Manila, thus the socialized tuition fee. For someone who was not born in Manila, a Manila graduate, voter or resident, and whose parents earn considerably higher than most, the fee would be about 46,000 thousand pesos. This is still lower compared to other reputable or prominent med schools (like the one in Espana *cough* or in Fairview *cough*). However, if you are a true blue Manileno, meaning you were born in Manila, a graduate in Manila, residing and a registered voter in Manila, your tuition would be whopping... 7,000 pesos! I myself have been flabbergasted that my eyes practically rolled on the floor. Unfortunately, I'm not a 'Manila-all' student, so I'm guessing I would slightly be on the higher range. Once you are accepted, Carla told us that PLM shows you how your tuition is computed (e.g. Manila born= *** pesos) so you'll know why you are being charged such and such. All in all I think PLM is a great deal, considering PLM's reputation as a competitive med school (see their board passing rates). I have not learned of the entire low down on this yet, so I'm afraid I cannot give definitive answers should you have more specific questions.

So far this post is taking longer than expected, and veering farther than my intended topic. Next stop: The actual interview.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean to say that they still have the return service for 2 years? I thought Mayor Lim abolished that rule. :S

charlenemay said...

hi ms.aubrey :) yes, PLM is a good school, not to mention the 99% passing rate they got in physician licensure exams but i think they got 86% last feb.. i hope you can make it there but i'd be happy to see you in feu-nrmf too. Great blog!

Aubrey said...

Hi Anonymous. I'm not sure if its really two years but I'm quite certain that it is still enforced (as reiterated by my interviewer) :)

Hi Charlene. Yes I checked it's indeed 86%. Thanks for the correction. :)

anonymous said...

i think you're both correct, plm did got 99% rating last august 2009physician lic exam.. ^_^

Anonymous said...

wow.. i'm also planning to take medicine after i graduate nursing next year..:) this did some help..thank you

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am a first year med student from another medschool, i just want to know if PLM college of medicine accepts transferees for the second year?
i read through your blogs at it seems we have the same subjects for the first year...
thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

miss aubrey. good day po!:) i'm also planning to apply at PLM. i want to ask you kung magkano po yung estimated fees kapag first year (yung kapag kasama na po yung books. graduate po ako ng manila like you.:) thank you very much po.:D

Aubrey said...

If you fall under Category C (with no subsidies and all), you would roughly have to shell out around 50K. All in all new med books would probably amount to 11-15k. You could order back editions though so you can save a little. :)

Anonymous said...

hello,what do u think is the top 3 schools in med?why did u choose PLM?

paola said...

hello, what if i'm from mindanao will PLM accept students from different part of the phil.? how much din per sem if your not from Manila? thanks

Anonymous said...

hi ms. Aubrey i am now on my 4th year (BS Pharmacy) and if God's will i'm planning to study doctor of medicine by next year. but my problem is the tuition fee.. do PLM accepts students who are not a graduate of Manila, but residing in Manila? thanks :)

Anonymous said...

hi, aubrey! i was really amazed by your blog, indeed taking in the field of medicine is truly a passion and a love of work. i'm bobby from Bicol,.and i was really inspired by you. im very thankful for having this blog! by the way i want to ask if am i allowed to enrol at PLM even if i am not a Manilenyo? how much is ur estimated tuition fee for first year at FEU-? thank u, hoping for ur reply.

Au said...

Hi schoolmate! PLM-CM grad here =)

FYI, there's an even better option than the 7k per sem tuition.

Our top 1 only paid 2.5k per sem. O_O

Anonymous said...

hi ms. aubrey. im planning to enter a med school next year (im currently a 4th year BSN), PLM is my top choice, however, it is written in their site that nmat must at least be at 45%ile. And the sad part is, i got 42. I don't know but i'm really hoping for considerations though. You as a PLM student, do you think i might at least be given the chance? Thank you.
I'm inspired by your blog. Thank you for your great help. (nylanor)

Anonymous said...

hello po :) i just want to ask kung pano po gagawin pag may kulang na units para makapasok sa PLM-CM? graduate din po ako ng nursing. thank you po :)

mags said...

Hi soon to be "doctor" !
i believe it was my dream to be a doctor. but unfortunately i landed to some other profession. i just want to ask how much will i be paying studying there at PLM-CM if i am not a resident, obviously not a voter, but graduated in MAnila? I was actually considering FEU NRMF since its nearer but with a great deal PLM-CM has to offer, id be willing to travel two hours for years again.

By the way, you really have a good blog here. very informative and down to earth. :)

thank you and GOD bless, Doctor!
:)

Unknown said...

hi ms.aubrey,

you have such an amazing blog. i've been reading a lot of your stuff recently, as I've just submitted my requirements sa PLM. fortunately, wala pong deficiencies. *whew* your blog has been very helpful, I'm sure to a lot of people. May I please link back to some of your posts?
Good luck po! :)