Project 365: Gay pageants, equal rights and tolerance

It is unfortunate that I missed seven days of Project 365. I don't think it was solely my fault though. Last Sunday, December 14, we learned upon reaching home that our electric meter was stolen. MERALCO got to it in about two days, thus I was practically incapable of doing anything which required electricity. Also, the last few days had been busy. It's the Christmas rush you know.

Day 5: Stretching a thought

(I have long admired writers who could explore a thousand things from a single idea. I believe such people are just gifted. While it is already difficult to richly develop a topic, and to keep readers gravitated, it is more difficult to touch a multitude of ideas from a common focal point. A simple writer shines a beam of flashlight, a great writer mimics the sun's untamed rays.)

It was my first time to watch a gay pageant last Friday. It was really fun because the candidates were unbelievably beautiful. I swear I wouldn't look twice and judge them as men. I told my mother those gays would put real women to shame (maybe I was kind of referring to myself haha). They have flat abs, big butts, and huge mammaries. I remember reading a joke that while feminist women try to blur the difference between men and women, gay people try to amplify it.

The candidates really put on an entertaining show. That is why I sat through it for four hours. One interesting thing I noticed during the program is how the candidates persistently stressed that gay people are no different from anyone else. That they are also creations of God, and that they also deserve to be respected and loved. While I do not have the slightest opposition against their contention, I began to think how the other people in the audience were really feeling about homosexuality, gay rights and equality. Sure they were cheering the ones who delivered eloquent answers, but do they really believe in what the contestants were driving at? Do they also think that gay people deserve to be called 'children of God'? Or that homosexuals are not mere aberrations of humanity? Who among those people would warmly embrace a relative who comes out of the closet?

I think Filipinos are tolerant of gay people, but not exactly accepting. It is okay to have a gay friend, but not a gay brother, a lesbian cousin or a homosexual father. To be honest, it would be a huge blow for me if any of my brothers came out of the closet. Or if my father suddenly realizes that he's not really into women. The feeling would probably mellow down after a few months, but I would not be jumping for joy because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my gay and lesbian friends. I believe everybody deserves to be treated fairly and to be considered as a creation of God. Nothing irks me more than people who cast stones, or take on a moral ascendancy over others just because of their 'straight' sexual orientation. Everyone deserves a chance at a happiness that would make their life worthwhile. If ever my brother comes out gay, it would blow me over, probably not entirely because of his sexual orientation but also because of the sudden shift of persona that will happen. Maybe if he was leaning towards being gay for most of his life, it would probably not be a huge shock for me.

Edge told me that his column for December deals with homosexuality, with its discussion weaved on bible verses. I say its a very tight vantage to take. Most of the people who are against gays and lesbians also use the bible as their artillery. I think he better be prepared for lengthy discussions on bible interpretation and curses of eternal damnation. (You know I'm rooting for you Edge)

Gays and Lesbians are still to move mountains on their fight against the narrow minded interpretation of sexuality. It's a fight which many deem to be futile and against the fundamentals of human nature. But then again, blacks and whites marrying was also deemed an abomination back then. Just because it is not happening now doesn't mean it won't happen. To all Homosexuals-- PRIDE!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The only thing men learn from history is that men never learn from history.

Mariz said...

Hello-
I read your blog and commend you on your attempt to reconcile familial love with respectful love.
Obviously there are many kinds- but I think it is all grounded in the same ethical convention directed by Kant.

I think that the culture grounded in religion and masochistic defined gender roles are the types of environment that continue to plague the rights of individuals.

I don't understand how you can be pro gay for your friends then have reservations if it was your family member? It's either you're in or you're out situation. Surprised if a sister or brother came out? It should be more- why didn't you tell me sooner? I think perhaps once you go through one of your friends coming out to you or a family member- both should be as welcoming as well as inviting.
Arissa